Saturday, October 18, 2008

Finally up to date...and aperitivos.

10/18/08
Oh wow, I'm up to date with my blog how cool. Today I went to the Sant Ambrogio market and got all the groceries that I needed. I got a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. I was a little intimidated because there were so many people and I didn't know how to really get my stuff. I had to feel it out. I am sure that next time I go I will be an expert market shopper. I am going to go out for an aperitivo probably later on...

10/17/08
Today was a very relaxed and lazy day. I woke up late and ate with my roommate watched a movie then I did some computer work and then we went to our friends house got another movie and hung out for a little bit. We then came back I got ready to go out to an aperitivo and had some awesome seafood. I then came back and went to La Cite and read two Italian children's book for practice.
It was so weird to see a little kid at a cafe where they sell liquor but the views towards alcohol over here are very different. They had live jazz playing but I was too tired so I came home. We then watched another movie and it was really good.

10/16/08
Today it was gloomy and cloudy and I allowed myself to get a little down. I went to school but I didn't have my usual spark. I felt blue, then I went home after class and went on a walk to remember. I went to Piazza di Michelangelo and then to some park next to the Belvedere Fortress and heard some Italian kids play some music that was typical Italian music.
I then made my way back home and felt better. I stopped by some friends house before I went home and I ended up going out with them to an aperitivo. I had a lot of fun playing a game called the Key game and the food was actually really good at this place. Worthy of going if you like meats and want to get a good full meal. I had a feast. Me and my roommate Nick had to wait for the girls because they were getting like 5 shots EACH the bar tender was reeling them in with his Italian charm and drinks. Me and Nick were just spectators because we weren't going to pay for a shot nor get one for free so we just chilled and watched.
We then went home and me and Nick talked about life and metaphysical stuff like that, it was interesting and he then told me that I changed his life or at least his perspectives.

I am thankful for being able to have a positive influence in others so that they can broaden their horizons. At the same time broadening my mind.

10/15/08
Today I just had class and then I went to get some food at the Sant Ambrogio Market with my roommate Polly and we had some really good food for cheap. I bought some prosciutto, bread, olives, dried tomatoes, & fresh pecorino cheese.
That was not cheap but it was really good when I ate it.
Me and Polly shared our meal and we ate in a small piazza on a bench. We talked and had a very pleasant meal.

We then went home and I went to a competition about Toscany and American Culture. It was a written test that I thought was easy and I met some people from Georgia who were studying here. I thought the test was easy and I really think I have a good chance of winning one of the prizes. It was short and then I went home and did some work until we went out to an apperitivo.

The place was called Dolce Vita and it was good. They had some good food nothing worth mentioning. After we ate our fill we began to walk home and I spotted a place that I had been wanting to go called La Cite. On Wednesdays there are Tango lessons for 5 Euros and I hopped in and I was warmly welcomed and I decided to stay. I talked with all the organizers and instructors and got to get a dance before the concerto began. A piano man played several songs that were very pleasing. One of the instructors got me an expresso which was very nice so I was energized all night.
I then went on a walk with a friend I had met on one of our excursions and we practiced some dancing in the Piazza della Signoria. I feel like I can be myself and not worry about what others think. Here is why, I was dancing and just being me in public and at no time did I feel shy or concerned about what other people might think of me for dancing and being silly in the middle of the piazza.

I am thankful for being able to express myself naturally without allowing the social norms to affect my true self expression.

10/14/08
So I forgot to mention that the day before we participated in an Italian Protest. Apparently, the government wants to privatize many of the public schools and thus limit the amount of people who can afford to go to school. In the long run and when you look at the big picture this will only increase the gap between the rich and the poor.
I understand the frustration of the Italian people, matter of fact they took over the schools as a way of protesting. I had never been in a thing like this before and it was weird to be in a mob. It seemed like many students were there just to hang out and have something to do. Others were more into it and there were professors there too because part of all these changes would affect them...they would get fired.

But on a lighter note I went to Pisa to practice my Italian and I barely made it on the train! They changed the track and I end up having to run.
But I made it there and I got to enjoy an authentic Italian meal that I helped cook and I got all of my Italian homework done.

On my way back on the train I was mistaken for an Italian. It was pretty cook to be mistaken for a local, I don't know but that felt good. Then I talked to the girl on the other seats who was asked for directions and said she only spoke english. So I started to talk with her and I ended up taking her to her hostel. I felt so good about myself and happy to have helped a complete stranger. I know how difficult it is to navigate around Italian cities and I just helped her out and went out of my way. I wasn't selfish and I wasn't caught up in my own world like most people from back home and I am no less guilty of that myself. But that is why I felt so awesome when I was able to help her reach her hostel and she was very thankful.

Then on my way home I was approached by a couple who was looking for the train station. They asked for Via Nazionale and had I not helped that girl I wouldn't have known where that street was but I did so I gave them directions in PERFECT ITALIAN and oh boy did I feel like a champ. I was so happy because they said "muy claro" which means very clear. I went home and shared a meal with my roommate Polly who cooked up some eggs and we talked for a while.

Today I am thankful for learning more about the whole karma thing. I now feel like I understand it more. Earlier I was helped and now I help someone else and I brought the food for dinner earlier and now I am getting food. You get more than what you give when you are genuine and honest about giving.

No comments: