8/29/08
So we didn't do much today we just chilled and I worked on a special project. I went to the store to pick up some stuff I needed like snacks and shampoo...etc. Then we met up with some people and went to the city centre. A wine festival was going on and it was really funny to see how people socialize especially in an ex-communist country. I was talking to an English born-Australian Citizen, of Chinese and Japanese heritage about the differences in culture between Eastern Europe and Western Europe. He was working in Prague and says he loves it. "They are a quirky people" I was fascinated at how much the Communist dogma is in this society. He works in the financial sector and he was telling me that Czech have an extremely low risk tolerance, that they conform to have just enough to survive, and will do only the bare minimum. This pretty much confirmed a lot of the things I believed about the effects of communism and why it doesn't work. He was also telling me that they sometimes take the communal and democracy thing to far.
For example, the government decides to build a free way. Okay so they start to build it and then start to ask the environmentalist, the landowners, and the cities if its okay. They just assume people will see the value of a freeway and agree. And when they don't the freeways just stop and for a patch of road there is nothing and then they continue on the other side.
My friend was telling me of a time when he wanted to watch a movie but nobody wanted to go, so he went on his own. His Czech friends were blown away, "Why did you go alone?!?" for us its simple you want it, do it. But for them doing something outside of what the group does is very foreign.
Anyways, I found that to be the highlight of the Czech Republic. Getting to learn about the intimate fabric of their society and how it works. I really enjoyed the food and wine of the festival. However, I must say that the California wines I have had are SOOO much better than this watered down grape juice that they want to call wine. HAHA.
I had some good cinnamon pastry and it was really good. Oh and some more funny things I observed: I learned that guys don't cheer because its too girly, they won't dance unless they are drunk (self-confidence has been stripped from them thanks to communism, I think), and they played American and Spanish music translated into Czech. There is a Czech radio station that was playing American Oldies. It seems like no matter where I go I just can't get away from America no matter how far East I go.
One thing I will say, I have very little interest in returning to Eastern Europe. It's kind of frustrating and sad to see the effects of communism even after all these years. I just don't see myself going back unless I learn more about the place that I will be going to. I just expect a certain minimum standard for things.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment