12/14/08
I wake up around noon and I take have lunch with the friends I made in Dublin. The three of us went to Yellow Bar and we had some pasta.
Then I meet up with the rest of my people at Santa Croce and we got to some stores to shop. When I was at the curiosity shop the owner told us of a place to eat like kings. So we went and we ate like royalty. Now let me explain what we got your going to be amazed. We started off with some sparkling white wine called Proseco. Then came the red wine from Puglia which is from southern Italy and is strong bodied. The we had fresh mozzarella and proscuito that was really savory. Then came the first course pasta which was Tortelloni filled with Rissoto di Spinach and Tartufo which cost hundreds of dollars per ounce. Then the second which was a meat dish consisting of beef with grilled ham slices on top. The meat was super soft and delectable. Then another bottle of wine came through. Then the dessert was an assortment of Tiramisu, chocolate cake that was still warm, and some sort of flan. Then we followed that with a digestivo which is basically a liquor. We had Grappa, which is like vodka that thats made from grapes. Then we had Mirtha from Sardinia which had an awesome smell and flavor of berries. Then Oranchello which is basically alcohol with a flavor of a special small orange. Finally something called Aleatico this was orgasmic!! It was an elixir of some sort it even lifted my spirit up if you know what I mean. It must have been an aphrodisiac. During my meal I had a food orgasm. No joke this was one of the best meals EVER!
So the time came for the bill we never looked at a menu the owner just brought us food. So we didn't know what to expect. In my mind I speculated a bill of around 300 Euros or 360 Dollars. Considering all the food we got and liquor we drank.
The bill came out to 20 Euros a person or 22 dollars!!!!!! I was in border line shock. I couldn't believe it. I mean this place was elegant and really nice and we only paid for what one plate would have cost. I knew we were going to get a discount but this was a super discount!! We left in absolute ecstasy. We got home and tried to watch a movie but we were too relaxed and tired to stay awake.
I toasted to life, friends, family, and the future at our dinner. I felt so thankful to be out there and with great company. I am so thankful to be able to experience this and be able to share it with those who care about me.
12/13/08
I woke up late just cuz. Then we cooked an awesome breakfast here with the roommates all together. It was eggs with potatoes and peperoni. mmm good. I love breakfast. Anyways, enough about food for a minute. So I had to shave but I don't have any shaving cream...so I decided that now would be a great time to get an old fashioned shave from a barbershop. So I went on a mission to find this place at the edge of the city wall to the Porta Romana. I took my time soaking up the sights and the water...then I finally get there and the guy is locking up to close down and wasn't going to open again for another two hours.
So I was across the street from the Bobili Garden and I had told myself that I had to go back one more time to see the far side of the garden. This place is like Disneyland you can't do it all in one day without dropping dead. So I went all alone with just me and my music. I had such a peaceful walk and I cleared my thoughts to the fullest. I felt real peace just wandering through nature. I now understand why gardens bring joy to people. Because nature is pure and all good that is the energy we get from it and therefore feel in peace.
I found a really cool fountain that goes down a hill and has water falls at every step. From there I walked out to another garden called Barbini. It had one of the most beautiful panoramic views I have seen. It was really amazing to wander through this garden. I can only imagine what it looks like in the spring when all flowers are blooming.
Then I was on my way back when I remembered that there was another barbershop man by Santa Croce. So went there and got my shave. It was quite the unique experience. The warm latter and the intimidating blade made for an interesting combo. But all in all he did a very good job and I was really happy with his work.
Then me and one my friends from the house wanted to go to Piazza Michelangelo but instead we decided to wait for my roommate Nick from Rome who was on his way up to Firenze. We decide to go on a mission to find the ice ring but we get side tracked by a beautiful Christmas tree inside the Medici Palace.
We go in and look around and we were dazed for a while because they had some of the most well preserved frescos I have seen and a restored painting of Rafael. Then in one of their halls there was a fresco on the ceiling and I was absolutely blown away it was sooo cool because it had mythology and I really enjoyed trying to decipher who was who in the painting. That day there was some sort of government function and we got to see some of the politicians of Firenze. Nothing too exciting but still it was cool I guess.
Then Nick comes and we get ready to go to dinner. Polly had heard of a place over by Sant Ambrogio so we go on a mission to find it. We find it after a little back tracking and eat. I don't have to go into the details of course the food was great no complaints. Then we go home and just chill and go to sleep.
12/12/08
Today I basically had lunch with Omid for the last time this year and then took him out to the airport. It was kind of weird because he was here for so long that it was like he was one of the roommates. He did everything with us.
On the way back from the airport I stopped by a souvenir store and got some really cool stuff to take back home to all of my friends and family.
I got into the cleaning/packing mode and did some cleaning and packing. I realized that I have an entire suitcase of just shoes!! They are so cool though. Granted my suitcase is the size of a peanut but it sounds like it's a lot hahaha. I then played two games of chess with my roommate and I lost both of them. I will get better though.
Then we got together with the girls from Dublin and went for an apperitivo. Our favorite one of all times it's so good! It's called Kirsch Pub
Then we went home and I crashed out.
12/11/08
School kicked my butt today. I had a final and it was hard. Then after school Nick, Omid, and myself all went to eat at this place called Mario's and it was amazing. So there is no menu they only give you a choice of a few things that they are cooking for just that day. The prices were very reasonable and I had an amazing beef stew.
Then on our way back we walked through the market and I bought my Italian soccer jersey and a beanie with the Flower of Florence.
After that we went home and then hung out. We realized at that moment kind of all of us that we were ready to go home. The cool thing is that we knew why. Living here is not as exciting as it was before.
We have done all the things we wanted to do and have gone around the country and Europe. It has become routine and normal. We need a change and that's why we feel like we just got to soak up the sun or should I say the rain and enjoy the rest of my days in good company.
So after that realization we went to Santa Croce Church to a mini festival where you can find a lot of German things and food. It wasn't all that great actually. So we just did a little stroll and then went back home and got ready to go out for Omid's last dinner here, we went to Il Gato e la Volpe (The Cat and the Fox). Then we came back home and had a few drinks and then went to do some Karaoke at the Loin's Fountain. I sung a few songs and had a really great time because we went with two of the girls we had met en route to Dublin. They were there and so were the people from our program so we rolled in deep and it was a whole lot of fun. I always had someone to hang out with and talk/sing.
Then after that we suddenly wanted to dance...what a surprise. So we went to Club 21 and dance till it almost closed. It was really cool because it wasn't that packed so it wasn't that hot and we had room to dance comfortably. After that we went home and just talked for a while and then we went our separate ways.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment