12/24/08
I woke up late repacked my luggage so that it could meet the specifications of the airline. Then we went to some dinner and I had a ham and cheese omelette with home fries. I missed American breakfasts and they never disappoint me. After that I got a ride to JFK and hopped on a plane to go home FINALLY!!
Now I am on the plane updating my blog because I have a lot of time to kill.
So I will talk about some of my thoughts. I found that I wasn't really affected by "Culture Shock" too much. Before I came home I was running images in my mind of what America looked like...no not my sister. Muah! I love you big sis. So this helped me cope with my new reality. I think that the reason things don't really upset me or bother me is because I have learned the meaning of the serenity prayer. Help me change the things I can accept the things i cannot and the have the wisdom to know the difference. I find my self getting in touch with a higher being that grants me the wisdom to know the difference.
Oh another things is that I think that everyone who knew me before I left for Europe is going to have to get to know me again because I am no longer the same person. Even my family will see the difference. I see the difference in me when I was interacting with the people here in NYC. I don't believe or see things the same way anymore and it's kind of cool.
12/23/08
Today I went with my friend to the Mexican Embassy to take care of some Visa business. But about 30 minutes into the waiting I realized that these Mexican like everything else are going to take their sweet time to help her. So I left and went to explore NYC on my own. I went to see the Empire State Building which was really big...duh it is the tallest building. Then I went to look for the Chrysler building but got side tracked at Zara's and H&M. I looked around and then made my way to the building but before that I stopped at Grand Central Station. This place was really cool because it was made in a Roman architectural style and inside it had the cosmos up on the ceiling. Then I wanted to make my way back to 5th Avenue so I could do my shopping hahaha yeah right. It's the worlds most expensive place to shop! I then ran into a street called Little Brazil and I go down it with the intention of eating Brazilian food but instead have a Cuban Sandwich.
I go in and it's bustling. I really enjoyed just watching all the action and hearing the Cubans talk. So I ask the guy for an authentic Cuban dish and he say's the sandwich. Then he points at some other meats and I point at one...so I get a Peppersteak Sandwich when I was under the impression that I was going to get a Cuban Sandwich. But he doesn't give me the peppersteak and makes me another one. I thought that was really cool of him. This is an example of "American Service" had I been in Europe I would have had to eaten a peppersteak sandwich. But anyways I wait and he brings out some carnitas and some cured banana of some sort. I then talk to some lady who walks in and we shoot the wind. It turns out she gets the wrong sandwich too so we get a good laugh out of all this. Oh and I learned that if you want to get rid of the smell of alcohol in your mouth eat a few grains of coffee and that will eliminate any trace of alcohol in your mouth.
Then I was thirsty but I didn't want to drink there so I literally went next door to an Irish Pub and got a Guinness of course. It was my first legal one. I took a picture and I shot the wind with some guy sitting next to me and the bartender lady. I ended up paying 9 buck including the tip, that was expensive considering it was about 7 dollars in Europe with no tip. Then I met up with my friend and one of her friends at the pub. They ate a burger which was really good. We then headed through Times Square to Rochefeller Plaza to meet up with her sister. We go and see the famous Christmas tree and the ice skating ring. Then we go to a Chinese food restaurant and I helped them eat some Orange Chicken. From there we went on a mission to see Central Park. We walked up 5th Avenue and got to see some really cool store displays that were impressive and of course all the expensive designer stores.
We finally reach the park and it was beautiful it was what they make christmas cards out of it was so beautiful. The pond was frozen over and the trees had snow on them it was really a sight to see. We then quickly made it out of the park because I felt like my toes were going to fall off. We go into a cafe and I get a glass of...carrot juice. I know it's weird but that's what I was craving. We had some time to kill so we just talked for a while.
We met up with her sister and we were going to watch a movie but that all fell through so we just went home. I again was really tired. We had a cheese pizza at the house but I didn't really like it too much. I could really tell that the quality of the ingredients were extremely inferior. I mean it wasn't tasty at all. Actually it sucked I am sorry to say it but really did.
After that I went to sleep.
12/22/08
I woke up with a light headache but after eating an apple and some cereal and a lot of water I was okay. I took a train into New York City by myself because I was going to meet up with my friend in the city. On my way there we start talking to some guy who played in the NFL with the Rams and the 49ers back in the late 80's actually 87 because I remember telling him that that was when I was born. I learned about what he was doing and I shared with him about what I had done in Europe and it turns out that he was out there too. He has a foundation called Atheletic Leadership Incorporated, which helps kids get on track for college if they have athletic talent. He was checking out soccer teams out in Europe so that he can start working with soccer over here in the states. His name was Tajacka Sapp. His cousins and other family was in the NFL too and he some how was related to the Sapp's.
Anyways I part with him and I go to my rendezvous point and meet up with my friend. She had to run some errands so I joined her. We got a cab and went to the Supreme Court where she had to take care of some business. It was really cool because the building looked just like all the Roman architecture that I had just left. It was the most appropriate way for me to ease into my new world.
We then went to the World Trade Center spot and then to some park to see the statue of liberty. I didn't go to it but al least I got to see it. That was good enough for me, I'll see it next time.
Some where in between all of this I had brunch at one of my friend's favorite place. I had an omelette and a burger with fries. MMMM American food!! I missed breakfast sooo much and this tasted glorious. The food was actually really good. Then we went to my friends old high school and by this point my toes were numb and it was getting hard to walk...no joking either. So we went inside a market and I tried to warm up and get circulation back to my toes. Then we walk around some more and make it inside a Starbucks and I get a coffee to warm up and it did the job alright.
We then went to Chinatown, Little Italy, and East Village. I did a lot sight seeing and it was just really cool to see how similar and different New York is. We walked into a Thailand Cafe and I order a Papaya Salad that was disappointing because it wasn't spicy enough. But we ended up staying there until late because we got into some really intellectual conversation. It was basically discussing the same thing we always discuss and we still don't agree with each other. But I respect her points of view.
We then go to meet up with her sister at some restaurant called Milon which was Indian food. It was actually really good and I liked it a lot. We then made out way to some comedy show. It was really entertaining, it wasn't by any means big and it wasn't full. It was my first time to a stand up comedy show. After the show we go home and I pass out I was really tired. During our travels around the city we used the subway. Which was really cool because it was all stainless steal and I don't know it was cool because I think it was the original. The way it operates seems confusing but I never worried about a thing while I was there because I had my friend to do all the thinking which was really cool.
12/21/08
Today was my big day of departure and I had to prepare myself for this. I called up my family and friend in New York to confirm all the details of my trip. I then went to the train station to get a train to the airport. I was there around 1:30ish and I had to wait a little bit to check in my stuff. I do and then I move on to the security place, I get my tax refund money for my purchases and then went to get something to eat. It had lasagna which wasn't that bad. Then I went to my terminal and waited.
At the terminal I ran into another American student who studied in some small town in Italy for the same amount of time that I did. So we talked and she became my new best friend for the next nine hours of flight.
We watched 50 Cent's movie and talked a lot since there wasn't much to do.
Then I got into JFK around 9:30pm and the Border Patrol people take me back into the office to clear my name!! I waited there for a little bit and then they let me go once I cleared my name! I was annoyed but I understand that I do have a common first and last name and not all Jose Sanchez's are good boy's like me. hahaha
So I get my stuff and I meet my friend who takes me to her house. I get my first welcome of New York when I walked outside because I felt like I got slapped in the face by the cold. It was literally freezing cold. Something like 16 degrees Farenheit during the day! That's insane!!
But thanks to my heavy duty European suede jacket there was very little the cold could do to me.
I knocked out when I got to her house. I hadn't really slept in the plane so that I could easily adjust to the new time zone. Oh and a funny note is that for about 20 hours I didn't see sunlight! This was because I left at night and arrived at night.
12/20/08
I got up and went to see the Christ by Michelanglo at the church of Santo Spirito that I couldn't see the day before. I then went to get my last gelato.
Then I went to Sant Ambrogio to say goodbye to the people that I would buy my stuff from. Then I went to San Lorenzo to do the same. On my way over to meet my friend I stopped at the Baptistry. It was on my to do list and I finally checked it off before I left. Then I met up with my friend and we went to the hotel to get my stuff.
I got my stuff and booked a hostel for that night in Roma. I go to the station and wait with my friend until the train comes. I almost got on the wrong one but luckily I double checked.
So I say goodbye to my last friend and I get on the train. Well let me tell you about this train. It was the cheapest one and it took me 4 hours to get to Rome because it stopped at many cities along the way. I did some reading and sleeping along the way. I wasn't that bored actually I remember thinking to myself this isn't the definition of fun but I'll find the joy in it.
So I finally get into Roma and I gather my stuff and head towards my hostel. It was close and I had a little bit of trouble finding it but thanks to my preparations I had the phone number of the hostel and I called it. I was proud of myself. I check-in and then head out to find some food. I end up at some self-service heat in the microwave food joint which was alright but noting special or really good. I just ate because I needed a good solid meal that was going to hold me up for the next day.
I get back, take a shower and get into bed around 8:45pm.
I listen to music for a long time and I talked with this Australian girl that was telling me about here adventures in South East Asia. She was really cool and invited me out to go clubbing with her and some other Australians that she had met.
I finally dose off and fall asleep.
12/19/08
I get up at 10:30am and move out to a friend's hotel. It was just us two and we decide to go out and do all the things that we wanted to do but didn't get around to.
We went to Michelangelo's house but it was closed. Then we went to Santa Croce's Christmas festival and I had a Wurstel which was really good by the way. Then we went to look for some shoes for her and ended up going to San Lorenzo to look for some clothes. We ended up going to the Accademia to say goodbye to David and I bought some souvenirs from there. I then went to get my face shaved at a barbershop which was really cool. We then went to Santo Spirirto for Mass and it was really cool to listen to an Italian mass and get to see the church that was originally designed by the same guy who built the Duomo.
Afterwards for dinner we met up with my last roommate Nick for an apperitivo. It was at this place that everyone talked about called Moyo. I finally went there on my last day in Firenze. It was actually really good I had a Cabernet Sauvignon Wine from Napa that I really enjoyed. Along with the food which was really savory and overall good.
Then we walked around aimlessly towards our hotel and we had some or our last Firenze gelato at this place called Grom. I didn't have anything no that I remember but Nick got a Coca Cola and my friend she got a hot chocolate. We then walked back I said goodbye to my last roommate he got all worked up and sad.
I told him to be strong and that I would see him later. Then I went to sleep to get ready for another day...my last day.
12/18/08
Woke up took my test which was really simple and straight forward. Came home slept until noonish. Went out to eat with Polly, Nick, and his brother. Came home packed some more cleaned. Polly gave me a hug for no reason and I got all watery eyes. I can already tell it's not going to be easy....4pm.
We go to school and take some pictures outside of our school and then make our way inside. Everyone is looking good and I am not too far behind. Then what we all dreaded the first person to go...and it was Polly one of the most loved kids on the block. Everyone liked him and he made you feel so happy by being around him. He said goodbye in the room but I walked outside to tell him goodbye and that's when I got sad.
I went to one corner of the building and gathered myself it was weird, but that was just the beginning of a long night...
Then I went back and we watched some pictures from the photography class and a slide show of our quarter.
Then I was volunteered to dance because everyone found out that I danced Salsa.. So I didn't plan out a single thing as usual and I just let it flow. So I go up and I look for some merengue song and I chose Suavemente by Elvis Crespo. Then I tell everyone this is a partner dance and I can't do it by myself. So Brian volunteers and I put on a show and throw some improvised moves and it was caught on film my one of my friends.
Then we are done and we meet up for dinner...but before that me and Melissa go on a mission to buy a red coat that she was debating about buying all day. So we rush to San Lorenzo and barely make it in time to get the coat. It was going to be her last opportunity to get it and we went on a mission.
We then went to this restaurant which was absolutely the most horrible meal I have had this whole trip! Except for the tiramisu dessert that was alright. The potatoes were soggy and cold along with the chicken which was tasteless and dry. Oh man after 4 months of exceptional food this was a real big let down.
So we took a bunch of pictures and then parted ways again. I went over to the Genori girl's house and had some wine and just hung out. We then decided to go out to Club 21 and we made our way there.
I got my dance on and it was crazy to see how the Italians just swarm the girls from all angles!! I felt like such a ladies man HAVING to dance with like 3 or 4 girls just so that the Italians wouldn't. Poor me hahah. But like everything it came to an end and I went home. But that wasn't where it ended.
I went to bed then Brian comes in and says goodbye and I couldn't sleep as it is and I get out of bed when Nick comes back and I join them in the living room...3am
Then we start talking the rivers start to flow and we reminisce on the good times we had together. We missed Polly a LOT and that was probably one of the things that brought us the greatest sadness. We then kept talking and the then the girls from the third floor were playing some music and we go up there and they were bawling. I wasn't sad to see them go because I never really connected with them. I was sad to see Florence go and Brain leave.
Then he left and me and Nick were left we were there for each other to comfort each other in this time of sorrow...4am
Then some others left and just said goodbye.
I ended up going to sleep around 5:30am.
12/17/08
Today I met up with my friend from Pisa. We walked around and just talked. It was cool to hang out with her friends as well. Then I met Nick at the train station and said goodbye to him. He was on his way to Venice for a few days.
Then I went to school did some online work/facbooking and then I went to Santo Spirito but it was closed. So I got this really good panino and then went towards town.
I didn't know what I was going to due but I just walked and before you know it I was inside the Uffizi Gallery. I got to see the Botticelli's, Leonardos, Raffaels, and an awesome painting by Michaelangelo. I took my time and had a nice relaxing time.
I then went to Sant Ambrogio and got some Aleatico Liquor....this stuff is an elixir for me it's so amazingly good!!
Then I walked home exhausted as can be because I have been walking all day trying to soak in everything around me.
We then went to eat at the Yellow Bar. Which was the same place we ate at when we all got together about 4 months ago. It was really good what I ate it was eggplant tallitelle with tomato sauce and mint.
Then I went home and packed and stayed up thinking about a lot of things...oh and I studied for an hour for my test tomorrow.
I am thankful for being here and for the opportunity to foster some wonderful friendships.
12/16/08
I had my Food and Wine test today and it wasn't that bad actually. I only studied for it about an hour but it was easy. Afterwards I got online and called home and did some facebooking.
Then I went home hung out with the guys and then I went out to an aperitivo with the girls from Genori. It was really good but this time I wasn't excited to go just because I knew what to expect. However, I decided to try something new and I got a Belgian Beer called Cinay...it was sooo good. It was 7% so it was strong but the flavor totally undermined the alcohol which was awesome!
Then we came back and I drank some wine with one of my upstairs neighbor and we had a heart to heart sipping on some wine. I felt like such an adult it was crazy. I thought to myself, "So this is what "adults" do drink wine and talk about stuff." Then Nick came back from his day trip and the rest of my roommates also rolled in a little while later.
We talked a bit then me and Nick went for a stroll around the main sites of Firenze walking and sipping on some stogs that he brought from Rome. Again I felt really mature talking to him as we walked through the streets of Firenze. It was cool spending time with him because we have been through a lot and we can relate on a lot of subject matters.
Then we came home and got ready to go out to B-Bop to listen to some Beatles. We get there and I get a Hefenwiesen and drink it like water. I was so full from out aperitivo that I didn't feel a thing. Then he got the idea of playing Beirut so we down our drinks and start a game. I lost my first two but then I redeemed myself on the 3rd game. We played and drank and had a grand ol time. Then Polly came out and that's when I won. Oh man it was glorious!!
I am going to recount it just so I can remember it and plus I got it on video too. So when me and Polly beat Nick it was gloriously awesome hahaha because they had three cups left and I bounce my ball in one cup and then Polly made it in the same cup!! Victory!! Polly picked me up as if we just won the the lottery we were screaming, shouting, yelling, hootin, hollerin, laughing, well you get the point. I was on a table laying down and I remember trusting him with my life for a split second. It was a crazy feeling. I thought wow I about 3 feet from the ground and I am not afraid, I closed my eyes as I rejoiced and celebrated and it was a lot of fun.
Then we played another two girls from our school and on our first round I make it in one cup and then he made it in the same cup!! In the East coast that is an automatic victory so we were again celebrating like maniacs. Matter of fact I got a hilarious video of this moment. It's worth a million bucks to me. Then we go home after a while and go to sleep.
12/15/08
Got up at noonish and I went with my roommates to Sant Ambrogio for lunch. We had a really great lunch for cheap. Afterwards me and Nick wandered back taking our time to go to school. I ran into one of the girls from Dublin and then into Nick my roommate who was running errands.
One of the things that stood out the most was the fact that I have been running into people I know for the past week or so. I really love that about Firenze. It makes me feel like I am part of the community. I walk around taking in the sights sounds and smells and I run into people I know on multiple occasions.
Anyways, after a nice relaxing stroll I made it to school and I got online. I printed up my flight itinerary and I got really sad and took some deep breaths because this was it. I hadn't printed them out until now because I didn't want to face the reality but I can't help it anymore.
After I was done with school I went to visit a friend at a shop and we talked with him for a bit. I am building relationships with the people of Firenze so that when I come back I will know people and have a network to fall back on.
Then after we were done talking with him we went ice skating and met up with some more people. It was so much fun I only fell once and kind of fell a second time. Other than that I was melting the ice left and right. I got the hang of it pretty quick and I tore it up!! It was a nice big group of friends and we had a really great time.
On our way back I helped some lost asians find the train station. That made my day because I know that they appreciate it and I appreciate when others help me so I want to give back.
Then we went to one of our favorite restaurants called casalinga.
By the time we were done we were so tired/lethargic. We blamed all the exercise from the ice skating. We got home and then suddenly I got energized, so I stayed up for a while talking to Nick M. about our experience abroad and see how we've changed.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment