11/02/08
I got up and took them all the way to the airport. I delivered them and made sure that they were where they belonged. I felt good to have been able to show them a piece of my world and of the Old World. I wasn't sad or anything it was weird almost. I guess it's because I know that I'll see them again. I got back to Roma and just wandered around the city to my roommates house exploring the city as I went and it was very cool to just be on my own again like when I was in Paris or some other city. It's a different feel for sure.
When I got Nick's I slept for a few hours until lunch which was like at 2pm :)
We had some pizza and I had a nice conversation with him about how we have changed and we shared some of our experiences.
We then went on a stroll through Roma reliving our eurotrip experience days. I got to see some new sights and learn about some new things. We went to the Basilica of Saint Peter and passed by Sant Angelo Castle. That was cool because I had read about it a lot when I read the book Agony and Ecstasy. It was Hadrian's Mausoleum turned into a castle and it was designed in a style reminiscent of the Etruscans.
We then went to the Trasvestre area of Roma where there was a large locals presence. It was fun because we started talking to one of the vendors. She was an Italian student going to college in Roma but was originally from the Naples area. She spoke about the poor economic situation that has forced here to find innovative was to pay for school. I greatly admired her ambition and drive. I realized that by being in America we have so much more opportunities. That is what I was thankful for the most that day. She sold things made in Nepal and cigarette holders. They were really cool actually, but we just talked to her about other things. Since she was from the Naples area she obviously knew about good pizza and she told us where to go...and boy was she right. It was genuinely different and better. The roman pizza is super thin and soggy but this one was thin but not soggy and with more firmness. We got a special pizza with an ingredient that is only from the southern part of Italy. It was spicy sausage...but it was in a paste form. I was expecting some sort of rings but instead it was in a paste and it was spicy but not THAT spicy. Nick didn't agree with me and he was literally sniffling. It was small little shop and the set up was really great, kind of like Subway. The pizza was made in front of you and then the oven was right behind the cook and we could see the pizza cook. Then in 3 minutes it was done!! I loved it. It was the best one so far that I have had. The other ingredients were tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella and a few leaves of basil and olive oil sprinkled over it all. The place was called Nerone Pizza.
Then we went off to walk some more. We walked through some neighborhood and I can honestly say that I never felt unsafe or concerned about being in harm's way. It was weird because I remember when I first got to Europe I was all paranoid and on the lookout. Now, I felt peace of mind and ultimate relaxation as we walked through non-tourist districts. We then walked along the river and that was very peaceful and relaxing, time just went by without a worry in the world.
On our way back we met some italians near campo de Fiori who where going home like us. We talked to them between their broken English and our Broken Italian we were able to effectively communicate. The funny things is that they were all excited because we were from California. I feel like a celebrity when I tell someone that I am from California, especially Italians. We exchange words and emails. Then we continued on our way. We went to sleep thinking about how great our experience has been and how much we are learning and growing up as human beings. With every new immersion we learn more about ourselves and the world we live in.
That is what I am thankful for.
Quote for the Day: "Live in the moment and live every moment"
11/03/08
So I got up took a shower took my time getting ready and then left for Firenze. I decided to walk back so that I could explore and see more of the city and I ended up running into some cool clothing shops. I picked up some really cool italian shirts and jeans that are in style right now. I like the new style that I am embracing. I then got on the train that takes 3 hours to get to Firenze and began reading another book. It is about the Renaissance and Machiavelli. I got half way through it and I am fascinated by all the history that I am learning. It's crazy how similar our lives were to the people of the past. Machiavelli said, "That human nature is the same no matter who or where you are".
I then got home and organized my life and worked on my blog. I then talked with my roommate and played a card game called stutter where you have to say a word that starts with the same letter as is on the card. Example if you flip a seven you have to say a word that starts with an S it can't be a proper noun, a number, or a word that was already said. We had fun and then I went to sleep.
I am thankful for being able to spend time with my mom and to be back home here in Firenze.
11/04/08
When to school went to the market ate hung out and caught up with the neighbors. I watched a movie: Lucky Luciano. It was about how he became the boss of bosses in the mafia. Here is a crazy fact I found out. On September 11th 1930 something he took out all of the Old Guard mafia bosses in the US. What's up with picking September 11th to do bad things???? Anyways it was really eye opening in understanding why Italy struggles with the mafia and why Italy is the way it is and how the United States Army played a role in promoting and strengthening the mafia.
After the movie me and my neighbors went to an election night event. It was sponsored by the Americans in Toscany Association. It was really cool to be able to see this in a foreign country, I just can't believe how much of an impact we have on world affairs. People are so informed about what is going on here.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment