11/10/08
Today my roommate woke me so we could go to the tattoo shop. The shop was in Sesto Fiorentina and we were going to get the train there but the trains were striking. So we ended up getting a train ticket to nowhere. We then looked for a bus but they weren't working. So we ended up taking a taxi there. We were on a mission to get a tattoo. So we get there and the guy gets to work my roommate went first and we then rewarded ourselves with some pizza and pasta that was really delicious. The menu was all in Italian so that means they don't cater to tourist and it was good. We then went back to the train station waited for a train that we thought was going to come, but never did. Then we walked outside the station and ran into a small bus. We asked the guy how to get to Firenze and he started to tell us but then said to just get in and he drove us there to the stop!! It was a personal ride there, it was so cool. I love how people here go out of there way to give you a helping hand. That would never happen back home. He was so cool about it too, he asked us where we were from and then told us good luck and dropped us off.
We get the bus and make way for Firenze. We get home my roommate takes a nap and I go to school to take care of some work.
I then come home, took a shower and went out to have an aperitivo with my three roommates. After the aperitivo we went and got some gelato and ate it as we looked at the Ponte Vecchio from the other bridge. I asked myself how many people will ever say that they ate a gelato while looking at the Ponte Vecchio. That's one of the things I was thankful for today. We then came home watched an episode of Entourage and then I went to sleep after doing some Italian homework.
Today I was thankful for being able to spend time with people you can learn something from. I also am thankful for the peace of mind that I have been able to maintain. I seem to have been able to find a balance in my life that keeps me stable. Not that I am psychotic or anything, but I don't let things bother me as much and I live loving things more...
11/09/08
I woke up at like 10:30 am and had a banana and some more water. I went to the Cathedral to listen to mass and it was pretty cool because I was directly underneath the Cupola/Dome. It was a good way to practice my Italian. But half way through the service my stomach started to growl at me so I went home and cooked 5 eggs, a zucchini with a quarter of a red bell pepper, and some tortellini from the day before.
I was stuffed and so happy to eat!! Then I went to a Fiorentina Futbol game and we took the bus to the stadium full of tourist fans. We got to the stadium with no tickets so we had to buy them at a cafe shop!! Go figure they don't have a ticket booth!! But anyways we wait to get our tickets and then get an expresso. It was just the thing we needed to jump start our day. We run to the right entrance and grab some seats. A little ways into the game bam they score and it was so exciting the crowd went wild. I was all excited to see my first European live soccer goal at a stadium. Then they scored again on a cross kick. Me and my roommate were all excited I don't know how to explain it, now I understand why these people worship futbol. It's exciting suspenseful and your on a constant roller coaster of emotions.
Then the opposing team scores and it was cool to see how the fans react.
We walked home and then relaxed I read a little bit and then we got ready to go to an apperitivo. We went to San Ambrogio cafe and had a 5 dollar (4 Euro) glass of wine and all the grub you could handle.
From there we went to another cafe called Rex and listened to some awesome live guitarist. He was impressive, I really enjoyed listening to him just rock out. After a little bit we went home.
I am thankful for being able to attend events like these with good company. For the past few days I have felt like I am living in the moment and I am trying my hardest to stay in that moment/now. I feel in touch with the creative energy that surrounds me.
Here is a list of good beers in Belguim
West Malle
Orval
Rocfort
west vleteren
trappist beer (from monks)
* Bières de Chimay-
* Brasserie d'Orval
* Brasserie de Rochefort
* Brouwerij Westmalle
* Brouwerij Westvleteren
* Brouwerij de Achelse Kluis
* Brouwerij de Koningshoeven
11/08/08
We all woke up like at 11:30 am and we decided to cook up a storm. Spearheaded by my roommate Polly the main cook of the house. We had eggs up the ying yang, and hash browns. The eggs had spices, bell pepper, ham, and cheese. The potatoes had mozzarella cheese and black pepper. Oh man...I had this with Ketchup and I felt like I was biting heaven it was sooooooo good. I haven't had a breakfast like this in sooo long that this tasted awesome!! We all ate together and then some went to take a nap others to watch a TV show and I came to write in my blog for a little while.
After that I went for a walk I decided to start behind the Duomo but I couldn't get into it with my student card. So the kind man told me where to go and he even gave me a map. So I went along my way and I made it to a museum called "Firenze Accademia di belle arti e Accademia delle arti Delle Arti Del Disegno" a mouth full huh. There was only one thing that really impressed me and that was Gibertti's door that is found on the Baptistry. It was the original plaster model before he made the real one!! At that little exhibit I spoke to the guard lady and we had a nice conversation in all Italian and I was very proud of myself. I got some good information about the area namely that I should go to a town called piensa because they have really great wines and cheeses. I then went on along my way and came into a sunglass store and had another conversation about sunglasses with the vendor man. He was cool and I didn't get any but I felt comfortable and not pushed to buy them. His name was Claudio and when I told him I was living here he was even more friendlier. I told him I would come back and I probably will because they were a great deal. They were so discounted that I could literally get two nice glasses for the price of one.
After that I went to the tourist information office and I caved in and spoke English because what I was trying to explain was too complicated. But I got some great info and tomorrow I think I want to got to the Medici Villas just outside of Florence.
After this I came home. I tried to register for my classes but couldn't so then I cooked up some chicken with tortellini. It was really good overall, I love the chicken here it's soo tender and juicey.
After we ate we went to a pub crawl with Nick's friends. We had a good time I met some people from Stanford, The Army, and Florida. A funny story: in the third pub I took a bunch of pictures for this group. So I made the comment "wow, I feel like a photographer...I should start charging" and I got an American dollar. Later I was talking to some guy and he game me 10 Euros and said get a drink. I was like let's go and get one but he just wanted me to show him where the bathrooms were. I was cool with that. Then we went to the club and it was called Space Electronic. It was cool club that I had never been to. It had a weird vibe to it, maybe because there were like 5 guys to every girl. I remember fixing one of my roommate's friends camera and she was crying because it was going to be the 4th one she breaks.
I fixed it for her and then she was all happy and we just sat down. Then they lost their drink card and spent about an hour looking for it. I waited until I couldn't take it anymore and I left with two army guys. One was from Dallas, Texas and he was the stereotypical Texas country boy. It was funny because his team leader was a guy from Los Angeles and if it weren't for the army they would never be friends. That's what's cool about being in a place where your obligated to get to know someone that you wouldn't normally hang out with.
I then drank some water and then went to sleep.
11/07/08
I woke up late because I could and it felt good!! Then I went to school to do some administrative work. I didn't know what I was going to do or where I was going to go, but my goal was to leave with a destination.
I partially succeeded. I decided that I wanted to go to the Island of Elba, but then I found out that there was going to be a National Train Strike on Sunday, and the weather wasn't going to be all that great. So I stalled and then went home. I dropped off my computer and went to the paper marbling shop to get my masterpiece and talked business with the owner lady about maybe getting a senior project going with them.
I then returned home with all these ideas in my head and sat down to brain storm everything.
I then cooked and ate some pasta from the day before. I went out for a walk picked up some wine and then on my way back just kind of wandered. I ended up at this Mexican restaurant called Tijuana's and had a Pacifico with some Nachos. They were alright.
So I was curious as to who had made the food and I asked one of the waiter ladies. She said that there were 3 Mexicans and 2 Egyptians. I was actually surprised. Then my roommates came there to have dinner and I joined them for their meal and we all just hung out.
We went home and the plan was to go out to a club or pub. Everyone started to pre party and take shots and then the unthinkable happened. One of the girls talked about some State Proposition that I didn't know about and I asked for clarification and that opened up a can of worms for the whole night. We talked about: abortion, racial profiling, sex, marriage, healthcare system, meaning of living, and other hot topics. It was really interesting to learn about others in such a way.
Some got heated and other's just listened but overall we all enjoyed talking and learning about what everyone had to say.
The girls literally one by one went upstairs to sleep and then it was just me and my roommates bullshitting about all sorts of things. We talked about stealing, working, sex, California vs. East Coast, and other stuff I can't remember. But I do remember it was among the most enjoyable relaxing chill times I have had here so far. I really felt like I bonded with my roommates and peers. I remember at one point we noted that when will be with such a diverse group again. It was beautiful to share these moments. We then all went to sleep like at 3 in the morning...
11/06/08
One of my classes got canceled and I went to the market to get some fresh pasta for cheap. I then went home made myself a proscuitto sandwich and then headed back to my other class. After class I worked on my reflection went to the post office and then home. Oh I also went to the supermarket to get milk and yogurt. Stuff they don't sell at the market.
I had bread and grapes for a snack. Sounds plain but oh man its sooo good. Any sweet grape with unsweetened bread is yummy for my tummy!
After my snack I went to the Paper Marbling demonstration. I volunteered to make a sheet and it came out pretty cool. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. It was interesting overall because we got to see old machines that predated the industrial revolution. I then came home and made my fresh pasta with zucchini and some ragu sauce. I called it a night after that.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment