Monday, November 17, 2008

Boring day turned fun

11/13/08
Today I just had classes all day and then I went back to school after I ate and then came home. I was bored all day. It rained. It gets dark at like 4:30pm. After I came home again I got ready to go out.
Me and my roommate went out with a goal in mind. To eat and that's about it. We didn't know where or when so we just started to walk. We walked to the Porta Romana, outside the city wall into the neighborhoods that I hadn't ever seen, and then we saw this nice moderately priced restaurant. But before that we had checked out restaurant in Santo Spirito plaza.
We ate at this restaurant and I had fettucine pasta with gorgonzola cheese (Italian version of Blue Cheese), and cabbage flowers.
That was our first course. Then we decided that we wanted a second course but not just any kind of course...a special one. So I ate hare also known as jackrabbit or in Italian Lepre. My roommate ate stuffed rabbit. The hare tasted like liver. The meat kind of dissolved in my mouth in a very gritty manner. The hare was cooked in a sauce that was really dark and the meat was soft but very dark. I ate it all but lets just say I will never again eat hare unless there was nothing else to eat.
The rabbit on the other hand was really good. The meat looked like pork and it was sweet. I think it might have to do with the way it was prepared. I liked it more than the hare. We got another side of bread and we each got a "contorni" a side dish. My roommate got potatoes and I got a salad. My salad was really good it tasted really fresh and the potatoes were really greasy with rosemary and I ended up eating half of them because my roommate was full.
The environment of the restaurant was really cool because it filled up with Italians and their families as the night went on. We really felt like we had found a local's restaurant. We had some very interesting conversations worthy to be shared over a meal. I now respect meal time a whole lot more because I realize that these are the times when I can catch up with people.
After we were done we went to a gelateria and ate it on the bridge while we looked at the Ponte Vecchio. I was in the mood for being out of the ordinary so instead of getting a cone or cup of ice cream I got a biscotti or a sandwich. It wasn't as good as the cone because it was not as cold on the edges and then as it got smaller it became harder to eat.
We then walked to our friends house and we just hung out and relaxed enjoying the company of each other. We then decided on watching a movie Madagascar. So we all pile in one room and watch the movie. It was really cool because we all just bonded together and we all felt comfortable around each other. We then went home and went to sleep.

No comments: