Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The all mysterious...Amsterdam

So the first thing I did was take the Amsterdam walking tour of the city. It was so informative and I highly recommend it to anyone who visits any of the large European cities. The tours are free and the guides only make money by getting tips so needless to say they really do a great job. I learned about the Red Light District and the history along with the religious and economic booms that Amsterdam has had in the past. I now understand why this city has 177 different cultures represented with so many liberties. This place is tolerant because everyone has a common enemy and everyone rallies together to combat it regardless of your creed, code, race, or beliefs. The common enemy is the infamous ocean. If people do not work together 2/3 of their country will be flooded. Also, the Dutch East India Company created the first "corporation" and allowed the Dutch to amass a great deal of wealth. People see each other as Amsterdamians not as black, white, asian, etc...etc. I have never felt so comfortable about being different. I have seen food from places I would have never thought like Uruguay?? Come on what's it doing up here but the Dutch embrace everyone and welcome everyone. So I am going to leave it up to your imagination and that is all I have to say about Amsterdam...oh the window shopping is great...

Gratitude: I am thankful for being able to learn about tolerance and acceptance, in order for me to be more tolerant and accepting of other people's differances.

No comments: