Today after all the walking we had done the night before we decide to go to the Palace at Versailles it was pretty cool. I just went to the gardens for two reasons: after experiencing the Champs de Elysse I really was not interested in see more extravagant and lavish things. Instead I went on a walk through the gardens. Granted they too were extravagant but at least they we part of nature and had a beautiful element to them. There was on garden that had a gate closed but that didn't stop me because it was unlocked so I welcomed myself and enjoyed all of the sculptures. After reading the book about Michaelangelo I have had a greater sense of appreciation for sculpture. It took me all day to see all of the gardens from both the main and mini palace. When I went to the mini palace I had to walk around a block that must have been a mile away to enter it through the farm gate. I don't know if they were charging but I just walked in and got to see donkeys, cows, goats, sheep, chickens, and other animals typically found on a farm. It was really cool to see that the small family farms of today have not really changed especially when I go to Mexico. It just goes to show that somethings just don't change. It was a really great walk because I got to see more interesting things like a theater and a man made pond. The mini palace in the background of some pictures was made from some kind of red/pink marble that looked amazing from a distance. The flowers here were absolutely amazing and impeccable. Everything is manicured so well that it is difficult to believe that its real. And throughout my walking I fell in love with Italy even more than before and thats that I have not even gotten there yet. For those of you who know what I am talking about my clue lies in Pisa. Oh and someone out there would be proud of me too when I say that I took the time to smell the roses at Versailles it is amazing to see how people just walk by these beautiful things with no regard to what it really is...nature at its finest. We as a society have been clouded by all these material things that make us think we are going to be happy. I can only speak for myself of course but I feel that being one on one with nature is far more beautiful and peaceful and joyful than any fancy palace. Another thing that realized at that moment was that true happiness is only real when shared with others, so needless to say I felt lonely because I didn't have the company of anyone. I people watched and meditated beside the Grand Canal and that to myself there is no way I am going to see Nick because there were so many people and what do you know. While I was finishing my Gaufer (waffle) he comes over!!! He was apparently only 10 feet away!! We decide to leave and say goodbye to Versailles. But before that I saw a brown squirrel. I know, I know big deal but it's the small things in life that give me the greatest joys. That made me happy.
When we got back I was a bit sad, and I could not figure out why. Me and Nick went out to have an authentic French meal and we found one alright. I had Scargo (Burgundy Snails) and preserved duck, both of which were very tasty I must say. I had a lot of realizations about myself too at that moment when me and Nick started to talk about our lives. I realized that I was getting to know myself as a person because my background was changing. The best way I can describe this is by thinking about a theatrical stage. If you live your live with one background you only know that background and your identity shapes itself to live in it which makes sense because we are creatures of adaptation. So when you change the background we as individuals begin to see what we are really made of because our true self emerges as it is trying to make sense of this "new" background. In my case being in Europe. Also it helps to have a travel partner that points out certain aspects of your character as Nick has done and so have I for him. Sometimes its not the most comfortable of things to talk about but the way I see it the truth is always better because it makes you stronger. Then after our deep conversation we went to out hostel to get ready to go and have a great time because we concluded that we were in Paris and there are people in the world who would never have the opportunity to even leave their country even in France. So we changed our attitudes and go ready. I played some music that makes me happy that a certain someone gave as their favorites and it made me think of them which made made me even more happy. So we went to this bar up the street but I still was not getting into the swing of things and I didn't have my game face on. So we went back to the hostel and finished a bottle of wine that we had from before and then on our way out we saw this girl reading a book!! Since we had just had our talk about Paris and what a great opportunity it was we went to her and invited her to join us, she willingly and enthusiastically joined us and we had an absolutely great time. She was from Montreal, Canada and we went to a pub and talked a bit then en route to another one my ears heard Salsa and they perked up like a bunny rabbit. I asked and we ended up at a Salsa dancing club. I absolutely loved it!!!!! I had so much fun, I talked to some Chileans that were traveling around europe and then right before I left I danced with this girl from Morocco who spoke Spanish and was a great dancer. I am proud to say that after all this time I still go it going on!! I was on beat and I was having a great time. But then we left and we left for the hostel I went to sleep with a smile on my face to the beat of Salsa music in my ears.
Gratitude: To be traveling with person who is understanding and caring, like Nick. Thanks!!
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment