So last night I rested as much as I could so I could get over my cold and I woke up in a puddle of sweat from the morning sun that was shining into my room. I got up worried because I could see that the sun was high up so I woke up Nick who was planning on sleeping for another hour but I told him that if the "sick" kid was not complaining he had no room to do so. So we got ready and stopped by McDonald's for some breakfast, mind you it was very good and healthy. I figured that the British demand higher quality products and that is why it's so much better over here.
Anyways we went down to the tube (subway) and made our way to tower hill. A funny story: we had run out of money on our oyster card that is good for the subway but I didn't know so I put the card down and walked right behind someone while the gate was open but Nick didn't so I had to wait for him to get across after he scraped enough for the fare. But the real funny part was at the exist where there was no body to walk behind AND there was a guard watching. So last time I had gone through the handicap place and today on the exist I figured I would try the same move. So I had to think fast and I pulled it off and walked through. Nick was behind me and totally had the tourist look with the "I don't know what I am doing" look, and he tried to do what I did but by then the guard had come out wanting to know why I went through the handicap gate and at that moment I think Nick swiped his card which failed to read and then he got told off by the guard man. Nick had a look on his face like "What's going on?" the guard man had the funny stereotypical British accent and he told him to go down and charge his card but at the last minute he must have felt sorry and told him to not do it again and let him through. I turned around and laughed my ass off. Poor Nick was all shaken up.
From the station we went to the Tower of London right next to the Tower Bridge which is the famous blue bridge of London. At the Tower we got to see the ravens and the Beefeaters. Inside the castle we got to see an entire collection of weaponry and historical artifacts dating back to 1066 when William the Conqueror conquered Britannia. We got to see the Crown Jewels that the monarch wear and all of the other gold things that they use for the special ceremonies. This place was crawling with people it was quite the sight actually. It was even more interesting because I found out that it was never attacked by a foreign army and it was never over taken by a foreign power. It was however attacked and kind of over taken by peasants when they revolted because of a poll tax. They went inside and killed the Duke of Canturbury and the funny thing is that they still imposed the tax that is still charged until today. We saw as much as we could and then we went to the British Museum but before we stopped by Subway to eat and had my sandwich made by some guy from Bangladesh.
Anyways, the British Museum was amazing!!! It is a true gift to humanity. It has SOOOO many artifacts from all over the world. Mostly Greece, Rome, India, Asia, Africa, and Egypt. It makes sense since the empire dominated many of these regions throughout history. I got to see Greek sculptures that were amazing because I am reading a book called the Agony and Ecstasy and it talks about Greek and Roman sculptures and now I get to see them live. I think that the only other better thing to do actually going to all these places and seeing them. It is my belief that anyone who appreciates anything about history and art ABSOLUTELY must go to this museum. I am sure that there are others like the Lourve in Paris that will also blow me away but for now I think this is a must. So pretty much that is all we have done today. Later on we will be going to Big Ben the famous clock tower.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment