Monday, August 18, 2008

Brussels

I was awaken by the train station security man and we get kicked out so we wait for an hour we walk to the platform to realize that we need to go and buy a reservation for the train that leaves in 10 minutes!!!! So I had to think fast on my feet and I approach the girl at the front of the line and let here know the our situation and she agrees to let us go through and some black guy creeped up on us all mad because we went to the front of the line but I didn't understand what his mumble mumble jumble was saying so we ignored him and ran back to the train with just enough time to make it. We were thankful to that lady who let us go through. Now we know for next time. So we slept for most of the time to Brussels. We get into Brussels and we can't check in until 1pm or 13hrs. So we walk around saw the peeing kid and the main square (Gran Plaza). The two things that Brussels is famous for besides the beer and food. So we stumble across a smaller square where we sample some chocolates from a place called chocopolis and had I had a Belgian waffle with chocolate. Then I went back to the hostel and Nick continued to explore. We checked in and Nick went to sleep. I was hungry so I went out and got some groceries and food. It was the coolest experience because over here they "drag" their shopping basket. There are no carts since everything is so reduced in space. I got some roast beef meat, a lettuce, 3 tomatoes, 3 chocolates, toothpaste, a bagget, fruit tray, bananas, grapes, and some gum all for 20 euros. which is like 30 dollars and they charged me 3 cents for each plastic bag. I'm not complaining, just documenting every las detail.

Then I called up a friend and we got together with her boyfriend. She took us to some bar that had many kinds of beer and we all sampled a few. I got this really great tasting one called Chimay. We all talked and then she took us to her flat (apartment) which was really cool. It reminded me of an apartment that would fit in perfectly in California. Then we went to one of her friend's parties and there I met some really great people. A Belgian, an Italian, a South African, and rest were from Spain. I mingled with everyone and it was so incredibly nice to meet everyone because everyone has something new and unique to offer the world. I know that is kind of obvious but still I appreciate that more now than before especially after talking to a few select people. After that we went back home to our hostel woke up, packed up, and had a hearty Irish Breakfast of 2 eggs, 2 sausages, bacon, hash brown, 2 toasts, beans, and mushrooms. I love the Irish Breakfast!! So we headed out for the train station got on our train of which we don't have to pay for by the way because no body checks and nobody pays. Consequently we didn't pay. But something funny did happen, there was tweaker on the train. This guy was all sweaty and tripping out. He walked from one side of the the train to the other and had his hands inside his pants in the front. Naturally I was all nervous about this because I didn't know how to deal with this. We got off and the tweeker stayed on the train so we were relieved.
Now I am in Amsterdam and the first thing I did was wash my socks and a pair of jeans thinking okay I'll be here for a few days they should dry up....boy was I wrong! It was sunny but now its cold and its been drizzling all day long. Sooo I probably will have wet socks and pants for the next couple of days. hahahah
In my dorm room here at my hostel there are two California kids and some kids from who knows where they don't speak english.

Gratitude: For meeting kind people that are willing to listen to you.

No comments: