So we woke up around 9:30am and I was so worried because I didn't know what my friend had in mind for that day. They have these black curtains over here that completely block out the light from outside so we unconsciously slept way later than we planned. But anyways we at a piece of bread with jam left for the Wal-Mart equivalent in France. There she got us a cell phone and helped set us up. I just could not imagine myself trying to accomplish this feat. She spoke for us and we got a cell phone for 19 euros, which was a really good deal. We then went to Paris via the train, and we got to see the suburbs and it was really cool to see the real Paris not just the glitz and glamour we see on magazine and TV's it gave us a full perspective on the culture and customs of the Parisians. We got to see the diversity and differences that everyone brought to the table. I have never seen so many different kinds of people. That I know of I met people from Morocco, Ghana, Mali, and Nigeria. These Africans were dressed in their traditional clothing from Africa as were the Indians and Muslims. It just seems like people are far more tolerate over here than any other place I have ever seen. There were so many that if you took away the old looking buildings I would think that I was in Africa. All this really just opened up my eyes to see the big picture of the world.
We then got off next to the river and got on a river boat tour, of which I highly recommend because all of the sights you want to see in Paris are right next to the river. We saw the Louvre, Hotel d'ville, Musee de Orsay, and more. We got off at the Eiffel Tower but before we got off I practiced my Italian with a young couple from Campania, Italy. I was so excited to be able to actually be able to speak a foreign language. Granted it must have sounded terrible with my poor grammer and accent but I could get the general message across. Okay back to the Eiffel Tower because I know that that's what everyone wants to hear about. So we get there and I am just blown away by this structure that I had only seen in pictures for years and years. It was just so amazing to be in its presence. It is such an icon and the whole city caters to it and now I know why. Honestly its one of those things that you have to experience for yourself to understand it. And that was just the sight, wait until I tell you about when I got to the top. So get there and each tower has a HUGE line except for this one on the right, we wonder for a second and hope in line. I go out and try to find out what's the big idea. When I come back Nick is already way ahead into the barricades, so I wiggle my way up with the permission of the guard and the line went relatively fast actually. The other three entrances were for the elevators we were on the walk up the tower line, so that's why it was so short. But it was cheap, like seven or eight euros to get to the top. So to make a long story short we walk to the second floor, which was not bad at all then get an elevator to the very top. All this was accomplished in an acceptable time frame it thought. So we cram into the elevator like sardines and start our journey up. It was really exciting!! and before you know it we were at the summit......the view was spectacular absolutely amazing.
The tower is by law now the tallest thing in the city. No skyscrapers can be built in the city center. I just can't say enough how cool this was, I felt like I was at the top of the world, I could see everything and the weather cooperated with me so that there would be no rain and instead it was sunny...like I always say the good weather always follows me. Except for the UK the good weather got lost looking for me in the clouds, so it cried and that's probably why it rained. hahahahah
I took some pictures and just took several moments to just look at the city and think about what I had just accomplished in my life. I have traveled to the other side of the world with a goal of seeing all these things that are recognized around the world, now I just need to see the Colosseum and I will be fulfilled. I was proud of myself because it has not been a walk in the park and I feel like I have indeed changed a lot in a good way that will make me be a better, more understanding, and well rounded person. I have more but I would much rather talk about it in person with you. We then met up with my friend and her sister and had Japanese BBQ that we had to cook ourselves on a grill that was built into the table. It was really cool because it came with a thing of soup rice and a salad. After that we drove home and the next morning we woke up late again but this time we got to eat an authentic French meal made by a French. The way I understood it was that it was like fondue. We melted a generous slice of cheese in a little pan then we poured the hot melted cheese over a baked potato and some other thinly sliced meats. Then we we went to the hostel to check in and leave our stuff there. We went on a mission to explore the city and it took us through the Champs de Elysse and the Arc de Triumph. I have never felt more poor in my life than when I walked through the Champs de Elysse. Everyone was dressed so lavishly and elegant. For a quick minute it seemed like the Arabic Language drowned out the French. These arabic women looked like they were princesses with so much make-up and golden accessories. I was dressed in a manner that would be considered acceptable and as "looking good" but when compared to these folks wow. I came short by a long shot. So we continued onto the Arc de Triumph and we sat down for a break under the street (because there is a tunnel) oh and its a round a bout with 12 exits...so you can imagine how chaotic that must be. It was really cool to be there just because we appreciated the art of the four pillars and tried to understand what they meant and what the message was It was really cool. From there we went to the Eiffel Tower again and we just walked with out a map and just use the tower's light as a guide. On our way over there we ran into a statue of Mr. George Washington on a horse holding up a sword. It was pretty cool to have been able to see such a thing because it reminded us that the US has had a strong relationship with the us throughout the centuries and it was just cool to see something American in the city of Paris. So we finally get to the Eiffel Tower by night and it is even MORE impressive by night. I liked it so much more. We ran there we were so excited to see it shine. We took more pictures and had a crepe at the foot of the tower it was really good by the way, it had half apricot and have strawberry. We then make our way back to our hostel...by foot. This was painful but worthwhile because we slept like rocks. We were up until like 2:30 walking towards the general direction of the hostel. We made one wrong turn and we ended up back at the river but once it was okay because we followed the river and then ran into Notre Dame and we knew where to go. I never felt unsafe during any part of our journey that night everything was very clean well lit and no shady people were lurking around.
Gratitude: To have had the opportunity to see the Champs de Elysse and never allow myself to get to be that way. Yet it gave me the motivation and drive to continue my path to one day be able to shop at a place like this without having to look at the price tag.
My Final Week in Italy
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment